Welcome to Cabañas San Isidro!
Reserve since 1965, lodge since 1985!
A view of part of San
Isidro's forests from one
Cabaņas San Isidro - surrounded by its own 1,900 hectare forest reserve - has built a reputation for being the pioneer in private conservation and birding/nature tourism on the northeast slope of the Ecuadorian Andes.
Forty eight years ago the Bustamante family was early enough to save what stands today as Cabaņas San Isidro and its amazing reserve.
We have WHITE-BELLIED and CHESTNUT-CROWNED ANTPITTAS coming to our feeder!
(only for guests, no flash photography)
What's special about San Isidro?
We can pick you up from the airport and take care of your whole stay in Ecuador so you will not have to worry about anything. We have many years of experience running nature and birding tours so we know what you are looking for!
- A stay at San Isidro means easy access to the Birds & Forest of the zone on an excellent, private trail system so that you better your chances of seeing what you have come for: fabulous birds and wildlife at the most comfortable lodge in Ecuador's eastern Andes.
- Join us on a "virtual safari" tour, where we walk the trails checking for new photos of mammals - and other critters - taken by our motion-sensor, camera traps. In only two months we have had several pictures of Mountain Tapir, Pumas galore (!), Jaguarundi, Oncilla and Ocelot!
- The reserve is a corridor between two major national ecological reserves.: Antisana and Sumaco
- We support the local community by training them, providing jobs and facilitating donations for their projects
- Comfortable independent rooms with private bathrooms and hot showers
- Private porches in 10 of our rooms with a private hummingbird feeder
- Coffee makers in every room
- Sitting area in every room
- WIFI in the dining room area
- Delicious original and exotic food, with plenty of choices (buffet when more than 5 guests).
- Guinea pig tasting opportunity!
- Various common areas, you will always find privacy
- Orchid garden with more than 100 identified species right around the cabins
- Hummingbird feeder stations
- Antpitta feeding station
- Archaeological sites
- Cooking lessons if you are interested in learning a local dish
- Photography lessons (upon request)
- Beginner and advanced birdwatching, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, fishing , botany, and even volcanoes!
- Pool table, TV room (cable TV and DVD), book exchange, darts, hammocks, white light for insect observation, and a nice local staff!
By staying at San Isidro and Guango Lodge and using our ground operator services, Birdecuador, you directly support the long-term preservation of the reserves, as well as the ongoing Conservation and Biological Research efforts. Read more about us!
Check out Guango lodge in the heart of the temperate forest only a few minutes from the town of Papallacta . If you love rapid-fire hummingbirds - and a lot of them - and exciting bird flocks coupled with San Isidro 's hallmark service, it's a must. Only 50 minutes from the new international airport, Guango is a great option for your nights before and after your international flights. Why base yourself in Quito when you can wake up in the middle of a great habitat with super birding!